Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

texturing patched drywall to match the old?

texturing patched drywall to match the old?

Old 11-13-03, 09:36 AM
jhansen
Visiting Guest
Exclamation texturing patched drywall to match the old?

I had to replace some old drywall that was damaged, and now I need to know how to texture the new drywall to look similar to the old stuff beside it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-03, 12:46 PM
What kind of texture do you have existing? A pic would help us give you some ideas, you'll have to post it elsewhere on the web & then post a link here. yahoo has the service or I use snapfish.com myself. Short of a pic, my only advice is to try matching it up on a piece of scrap drywall. Hope that helps.

Old 11-13-03, 02:18 PM
jhansen
Visiting Guest
awesome dell

This is really old drywall so I know it's not a orange peel texture or anything like that, I wish I could get you a picture but can't. Do you know of anything I can get without hiring someone or buying an expensive spray gun to do this with and try some things. Do they have any kind of texture rollers or something to the like that is easier to do?

Old 11-13-03, 02:47 PM
You really need to describe it in detail.

Old 11-14-03, 07:33 AM
jhansen
Visiting Guest
more detailed description

O.K. Guys I did a little research for you to try and describe the kind of texture I am dealing with and the best I found on websites would be a textured called Perlite or (Sand) look. Can you give me any advice on how to roll this texture on, do I need any special rollers or would a regular paint roller with sand mixed in work? Help please

Old 11-14-03, 08:19 AM
I mostly do texturing with a spray unit, might be able to match that by slick finishing the area, then adding sand to your paint and roll it on.
Like I said, try it out on a piece of scrap board and see how it matches prior to putting it on the wall.
Coops, Mudder any other suggestions?

Old 11-14-03, 12:34 PM
Nope. It's pretty hard to match that stuff. Definitley put it in the paint. If you see a lot of brush strokes you have to brush it on.