sheetrock 4x4 question

Old 11-13-03, 07:20 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
sheetrock 4x4 question

from what ive read its best to hang sheetrock long ways from left to right against the studs.

would it be ok to cut a 4x8 sheet in half, and cover an entire wall with 4x4 squares of sheetrock?

i ask because im remodeling my basement, pretty much alone and 4x4 squares would be much easier to carry into my house, and also could fit in my car.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-03, 07:58 PM
Well you can do it the way you've related, just gonna take alot more finishing work. In short I don't suggest it, you could most likely have the drywall delivered and a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" rock only weighs about 55lbs.

Old 11-14-03, 06:28 AM
DON'T do it. You will have twice the amount of butt joints to crack out besides what awesomedell has suggested.

Old 11-18-03, 04:21 AM
Gary7
Visiting Guest
Incidentally, hanging your drywall from left to right makes sense if that's the way the framing was layed out. If the framing was layed out right to left, you should hang your drywall wall right to left to minimize drywall cuts.

The time and effort it would take to wrestle 8' sheets to your basement would be far less than the time/effort for additional taping/finishing.

Old 11-18-03, 05:34 AM
The time and effort it would take to wrestle 8' sheets to your basement would be far less than the time/effort for additional taping/finishing.

I disagree with that statement Gary, but that's just me, I always carry 8' sheets in the house still in the bundles.

Old 11-18-03, 05:59 AM
Gary7
Visiting Guest
I can see where there is potential to disagree. You may think it's faster and more productive to have twice as many butt joints to tape and finish, I think it's better to use full sheets even if it's difficult to get them to the basement. But I'm not doing this project and neither are you, so it's not our decision.

Old 11-18-03, 10:34 AM
Whoa Gary, At first read I thought you said it backwards, but we all agree using the longest sheet possible is best. It was just a missread by Awsomedell. Just settle down.