Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

partition wall between joists / blocking

Old 11-14-03, 10:24 AM
telefunken
Visiting Guest

im building a partition wall in my basement that falls between 2 ceiling joists.

the wall is 10ft wide, with a 3x7ft window. this is the wall of a control room for a recording studio i am building in my basement.

now how much blocking do i need between the joists and the top plate of the wall? ive been told i only need blocking in 1/3 spans across the top, so far left, center, and far right.

would this work or should i go on 16" centers?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 12:38 PM
Go 16 o.c. to be sure you have it nailed securely.

Old 11-14-03, 05:12 PM
I agree with coops, You want this new wall secure, isn't there gonna be a big window in this wall of your new studio? If so you really don't want a flimsy wall there. Just my $.02.

Old 11-16-03, 06:29 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
my 2c use steel studs for better sound abatement

Old 11-16-03, 06:54 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with ya on the steel studs Mudder, although I haven't done any research on the sound issue, and can't speak to that.

My reasons would include the facts that you know you're getting straight & true framing studs of exactly the same dimensions every time you pull one off the pile. Try that with #2 lumber, I don't care where you buy it from these days. Second reason is cost, metal studs are usually cheaper to buy. I actually thought for sound wood was better, unless some sort of sound barrier was incorporated into the wall.