Wall Texturing

Old 11-20-03, 07:20 PM
Chris07
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Wall Texturing

I am going to be applying a skim coat and re-texturing several walls in my bathroom, and one in the entryway. This will be the third time I have done the entry! I have not been very successful at creating an "orange peel" finish. The texture is very rough and doesn't match the other walls. I have used a hopper and the smallest opening on the gun, but the texture size never comes out consistently. In the past I have used pre-mixed texture products. My experience has been that this is too thick and may be a contributing factor to my problems. This time I plan on using a powder and mixing it myself. Am I on the right track? What about distance away from wall? (2 feet?) Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-21-03, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

I don't recommend the powdered junk, just a real pain to ever get it mixed enough to use for texture mud. I use lite compound or else topping mix in a bucket and either way it must be thinned with water down to a consistency of running oatmeal. Once you've got you're mud to the right soup mixture, push you air pressure up to about 80-100 psi, set the hopper to a medium hole size for the spray, now you load her up and start spraying, you want to be about 2-3 ft from your wall. I apply a liberal thick coat, then give it a few mins on the wall and come back over it with a wide knife or better yet a paddle. What I use for this is actually a painter's screen, this is a wide thin piece of fiberglass on a handle.

Best advice I can give you for matching existing texture on a wall is to practice on a piece of scrap drywall until you've got what makes you happy & then start on the actual wall. Post back if you've still got questions and we'll have some answers for you. Good luck.

Old 11-21-03, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunatley, Chris, Orange peel texture is the most difficult texture to match. It takes a very steady hand and you have to be super consistant. You may have to bite the bullit on this one and hire a professional to help out. Other than that Awesomedell has given you some good info. Also consider leaving the bathroom completely smooth and skim out the entire entry. As a general rule you like to keep a consistant texture throughout your house but if you have definite room breaks it wont be bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: