Drywall: DIY or Contract?

Old 12-03-03, 08:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywall: DIY or Contract?

When we built a church a few years ago (here in IL) we did alot of work DIY. We decided to hire out the drywall hanging, taping and mudding, because it was faster and not that expensive compared with other construction jobs, also not all that easy for a beginner and definitely noticable if done poorly.

I can't remember what the cost was, however. Anyone got a ballpark on per SF cost? It's a basemeent with mostly hung drywall cielings, approx 1000 SF. 3 rooms, a short hall and a bath

Also, would it maybe make sense to hang DIY and finish contract?

Old 12-03-03, 08:37 AM
Here in northern Mo, it'll run you $.80 to $1 per s/f, depending upon the type of finish you're wanting. That's labor, materials, whole nine yds. I usually don't accept jobs unless I do the hanging. A bad hanger makes the finisher's job twice as hard. What part of Ill are you in? Might be able to give you some contacts over that way, I used to live & work in St Louis area.

Old 12-03-03, 09:46 AM
Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm assuming your SF numbers are per finished SF of drywall, so that is ceiling (which = floor space) plus walls, right?

Now the follow up question is, what do materials only cost me?

I'm near Bloomington and Peoria. Used to be by STL that's where we built the church 8 years ago.

Old 12-03-03, 12:59 PM
Total square footage is walls and ceilings, correct. (length x width). Materials will cost around $.20 a foot for rock and another .05 to .08 cents for mud and corner bead etc... Another consideration that will run your cost up is how many outside corners you have to finish. That is, how many soffits and box outs.

Old 12-03-03, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the help. So basically it's 3-4 times as much to hire it done--but...on the other hand it's done right (one would hope)and pretty quickly.

Old 12-04-03, 06:18 AM
I did a basement roughly the size of what you're talking about a few wks ago, two man crew, job was hung & finished in 5 days, painted in 1 1/2 days, doors hung & trim up next day. So 8 days from start, customer was ready for his carpet man. Think he waited another week for carpet people to show up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: