Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Estimate?

Visiting Guest

12-02-03, 09:01 AM   #1  
Kriztufer
Estimate?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what i could expect to pay to have a wall opened up and framed off.

Basically what I'm looking to have done is this,

I just purchased a townhouse (but havn't moved in yet) and I want to have a wall in the kitchen opened up (the wall is the back "wall" of a closet in the living room). By opening up the wall it will allow me to slide the refrigerator into the opening and clear up a ton of floorspace in the kitchen. The walls are plaster/lathe

I though of doing it, but I've already got my hands full with about 1000 other things that I need to do before I can move in and I'm on a tight schedule.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

KS

12-02-03, 11:53 AM   #2  
Thats a tough one to nail down because of all the variables that could be involved. It sounds very basic. A few things that you may run into. You may have to run a header if the wall bears any load so you might not be able to go all the way to the ceiling. There may be some plumbing or electrical running in the wall. You will have to close up the door on the other side and run new base trim. Or it may be really easy. A really rough estimate would be from $600 - $1000 depending on if there are any problems and what part of the country you live. If you live in New York city it could cost you $5000.

Visiting Guest

12-02-03, 01:13 PM   #3  
Kriztufer
Thx coops28

I'm in NJ. From what I understand, many people in the complex have done the same. I don't want to go all the way to the ceiling with it, I just want it to open it up enough to fit the fridge in there, kind of a built in look.

As far as the door on the closet side, I'm just going to leave it for now until I have time to take it down and seal up that side.

Thanks again for the info, it gives me an idea of what I'll be looking at

Search this Thread