chevy chase...

Old 12-04-03, 09:48 AM
SB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy chase...

in Christmas vacation when he does the ol "2 step through the ceiling"...yup, climbing around in the attic looking for Christmas stuff, missed a step and put a nice 2X3 foot hole in the middle of the hallway

in true doityourself fashion i headed off to HD for sheetrock, mud, tape, texture, etc.

cut out the hole, screwed in the sheetrock, put about 10 pounds of mud on it to TRY to get the seams somewhat even..tape, etc.

my question...i still have maybe 1/16 of an inch or less where my seams are, it is floated pretty good but is that enough that it will be noticable?? also, i bought the popcorn in a can texture and that sucker was good for about 3 passes before it was out. it looks like 3 more cans at $10 a pop is what i will need to finish..am i doing something wrong here? final question...is ceiling paint, ceiling paint or will i need to get it mixed to match? i have regular old white ceilings with the popcorn texture....and, do i roll or brush on the paint when done?

Old 12-04-03, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOAH!!! You are going to be fine with the finish you have and applying popcorn. Yeah those cans don't cover very much. To get it looking the same you should rent a hopper and compressor. You can buy your texture in a bag at HD. Popcorn texture is applied with no paint over it. Unless you know it's been painted sometime along the way. Bad part is the texture discolors over time so your patch will look whiter than the rest. Maybe. If you know it has been painted then there are a million(at least) colors of white. To get it all looking the same you should re-paint the entire area. Spraying is the best for paint but they sell special roller covers for this process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: