Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

light fixture

12-08-03, 12:43 PM   #1  
light fixture

Hello there!

Lastnite I toook out my old light fixture (chandelier) from the ceiling and installed a new one. Old one was very very light (had nothing but bulbs and little piece of wood) however the new one is made of iron and hence is considerable heavy. Any suggestions on providing additional stability? or will the ceiling hold this one?is there a std. weight limitation which I should look at? My house was built in 1989. PLease let me know where and how I can go abt this information.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-08-03, 02:22 PM   #2  
brickeyee
Standard boxes are allowed to support up to 50 pounds (NEC2000 314.27(B). That does not mean the box you have was installed well enough to meet this weight. If it is fastened directly to a brace (wood or metal) or a joist with nails or screws it will probably be OK. If you have access above the ceiling you can inspect. I fyou do not and arre still worried you can always replace the box. A number of vendors make brace boxes that can be installed through the existing hole. Most are rated for fans, but the weight rating should tranfer to a light with no problems.

Search this Thread