tricks to skim coat

Old 12-10-03, 09:19 AM
nicb
Visiting Guest
tricks to skim coat

Hi,
Are there any tricks on how to spread out a thin coat of light weight spackle? I have a wall that I need to repair and when I spread out the light weight spackle is sticks to the putty knife or won't go on smooth. I think the problem is I don't get it "right" on the first or second pass and then after multiple passes it starts to dry out and then begins to stick and clump up. Also, I can't seem to make it spread out very far. I was just curious if there were any tricks of the trade that makes it easier.

Thanks

Old 12-10-03, 10:37 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Are you using the super light marshmallow stuff? All it is good for are holes and the smallest of surface defects. If you need to coat a significant area use pre-mix drywall mud. Most big box stores have smaller containers than the 64 pound pail.
To smooth the lightweight stuff for small repairs hold the knife almost parallel to the wall. If it is not perfect after 1 or 2 passes, let it dry overnight and use the knife to scrape it smooth.

Old 12-11-03, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How big is your wall? Are skimming the entire wall? Are you really using spackle? What tools are you using?

Old 12-12-03, 09:24 AM
nicb
Visiting Guest
I'm not doing a whole wall, just a small section. We had a new backsplash added to our small bathroom where the contractor did most of the wall repair (damaged during removal) but I am finishing it. It is about 48" long and a few inches up. I pretty much just needed to smooth out some areas. I used lightweight spackle and a light sanding sponge (with wide putty knifes) after three light coats, it is very smooth and looks quite nice.

I was just curious if there is a good way to spread the spackle on smoothly. Usually after about 1 inch or so the spackle becomes stuck togther and is no longer smooth, so I had to do multiple small swipes and sand after drying.

Does mud go on smoother? I have only done small patches so have only used spackle but mud might have saved me some time.

Old 12-12-03, 09:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm a drywaller so I like to play with mud. I know what you mean about the spackle sticking. I find that if you thin the spackle out and keep it moist it goes on better.

Old 12-12-03, 12:12 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
But if you add water it shrinks more when it dries. Take your pick. Use the mud for anything except nail holes and tiny marks. I use it between the primer and the finish coat. A lot of small defects show up in old walls after a uniform primer coat is applied. The lightweight spackle can be applied and painted in 20-30 minutes with latex. It is pretty useless for larger areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: