Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anchoring to a stucco wall - how?

12-11-03, 04:04 PM   #1  
Anchoring to a stucco wall - how?

I just received a custom ordered roll-up shade that I plan to install on the outside wall over my 10' long sliding glass door. It's a wood stick frame house covered in stucco. Do you have any recommendations as to what I should use to fasten the shade brackets to the wall - i.e., type, size, length, etc.? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-11-03, 04:11 PM   #2  
mudder
there is a substantial header above the door that adequately supports your awning and I would think six to eight inch lag bolts would be adequate HOWEVER as it is new you should follow manufactureres recommendations so as not to void warranty. Refer to instalation instructions supplied or their website.

12-11-03, 04:19 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. The installation instructions simply say, "The enclosed mounting hardware is for wood only. Use appropriate hardware for mounting to other surfaces."

CAL

12-11-03, 08:45 PM   #4  
There should indeed be a header. Use the supplied hardware. It might take longer screws. Use a masonry bit to drill through the stucco then screw into the header. The stucco is about an inch thick.

Visiting Guest

12-12-03, 12:26 PM   #5  
mudder
you ARE mounting it to wood, the stucco itself will not come close to supporting it, the bolts must be long enough to penetrate the stucco and into the header. If your stucco is indeed 1 inch thick you must buy 1 inch longer bolts than were supplied

12-12-03, 02:06 PM   #6  
Thanks, eh!

Search this Thread