Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall ceiling and wall ??

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 10:35 AM   #1  
Madmp3zz
Drywall ceiling and wall ??

Just getting ready to start blueboarding my bathroom, Room is only 5 x 9.
When starting off do I start the walls or ceiling?
I also read a post that said 3/8 on the ceiling is a no no...
Would it really matter in such a small room?

TIA

Sponsored Links

NC

12-16-03, 10:59 AM   #2  
I would use 5/8" on the ceiling and hang it first, and 1/2" on the walls. You don't want sagging in a high-moisture room like a bath.
Good luck!

KS

12-16-03, 12:41 PM   #3  
Like oldguy says, hang the ceiling first. 1/2 should be fine for joists that are 16" on center. Make sure you use a really good bathroom paint so the moisture doesn't get to the rock.

MN

12-17-03, 04:18 AM   #4  
Forgive my ignorance, but is the blueboard you are going to use the moisture resistant type? If so, both U.S. Gypsum and National Gypsum (and I believe other manufacturers too) recommend using 5/8" thick on ceilings with framing at 16" o.c.

In fact, if it were my project, I would use 5/8" even if it was standard gypsum board. The difference in cost is very small, so why take a chance on sagging in a high humidity area like a bathroom.

Bruce

KS

12-17-03, 06:40 AM   #5  
Blue board is for plaster. Green board is "moisture resistant". You are right. It is recommended that you don't use 1/2" green on the ceiling. The additive in the rock actually makes it wavy. Like I said there is no reason for any moisture to even get to the sheetrock to cause any problems. In my opinion, green board is a huge waste of time and money. If it get wet it gets damaged the same as regular rock.

Search this Thread