Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Home inspection found mold - how bad is this?

Home inspection found mold - how bad is this?


  #1  
Old 12-17-03, 02:35 PM
domi
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Home inspection found mold - how bad is this?

Hello. I am new to the forum so I apologize if I make any mistakes. My wife and I found a nice house, made an offer, the offer was accepted and then we had a home inspection. The home inspector found some mold and told us to get a detailes report. Anyways, the story is that this inspector found, amongst other things, cladosporium, aspergillus, ascospores, bipolaris, rusts, smuts and a few others. We spoke with the seller and he said he was aware of this but when he bough the house, his inspector told him that it was not a big deal. Can anyone provide insight as to how to move forward. My thinking is to get a second opinion or ask the seller to fix it. Mybe these microbes are not a big deal. Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 12-18-03, 05:45 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I'll probably take heat for this, but my opinion is: Mold has been around forever and people have lived with it. Every time I go outside or enter a barn I am exposed to all kinds of fungi. I'm more worried about getting kicked by a unicorn than I am about mold. Having said this, if you have allergies or a weakened immune system there may be some concern but I'd sure run it by my doctor before I spent good money to have it treated.
 
  #3  
Old 12-18-03, 06:38 AM
awesomedell's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,425
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I basically agree with Slider, I think way too much has been made of the "Mold Issue". It's been around since the beginning of time and regardless of where you're at in the country, every time you take a breath, be it indoors or outdoors, you're breathing in mold, and god knows what else.
An entire new industry has sprung up over the past few yrs to deal with issue. There are even lawyers in some states that specialize in lawsuits against builders of homes where mold has been found. When I was a kid, I bet I never knew 2-3 people who had any sort of allergy, while back I saw an article that said according to Drs., it's something like 1 out of every 5 Americans has some sort of allergy.

As to your specific question, do you or anyone in your family have any breathiing problems or been diagnosed as having allergies? When you looked at the home, did you see any visible sign of mold or mildew present anywhere in the home? If the answer to these questions is no, I really wouldn't let that be the deciding factor as to whether or not you buy your dream house.

Well there you have my $.02 worth, which is worth the price charged.

One other note, if you do a google search with the terms "MOLD IN YOUR HOME" you'll come up with over 2,000,000 results that you can peruse at your lesiure, so there's lots of info, you just have to figure out what is actually pertinent to your situation.

Good luck with the house & Happy Holidays!
 
  #4  
Old 12-18-03, 07:13 AM
Dave_D1945's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,178
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm with awsomedell and slider on this. The mold issue is way overrated.

I would, however, look into WHY you have mold in the first place. Mold, fungii, etc appear because you have temperature and moisture conditions which allow them to grow. Even if they present a minimal health hazard, they can cause severe structural problems (dry rot, etc).
 
  #5  
Old 12-18-03, 10:15 AM
coops28's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,752
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where is this mold? Is it visible? Is there a lot of it? If you hire someone to come test for a specific thing, chances are they are going to find it. I'm not going to give you my uninformed opinion on this one.
 
  #6  
Old 12-18-03, 12:06 PM
T
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,817
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold

Mold & mildew spores are everywhere in the air. They prefer a dark, damp, poorly ventilated area for breeding. As indicated, addressing moisture and ventilation problems are very important. As you did not share where the mold was found, it is difficult to advise as to how to address moisture and ventilation problems. Surfaces that remain damp for 24-48 hours or longer tend to be mold/mildew prone.

Disinfection of surfaces with bleach/water solution, improving ventilation with vents and fans, and reducing humidity with dehumidifiers inside the home, and addressing moisture problems on the exterior around foundation of the home are significant ways to address mold/mildew problems.

Most people have an immunity to antigens found in mold. If you or your family members have allergy or respiratory problems, you may be sensitive and react to mold and mildew problems. While one household member may become ill due to sensitivity, others may not be affected. Infants, the elderly and anyone with immune system deficiencies due to disease, chemotherapy, etc., and asthma, TB, cystic fibrosis are particularly susceptible to serious illness following exposure to microbial contamination.

The most common health concerns include symptoms similar to hay fever. Others may experience respiratory difficulties or skin and eye irritations. There are some reported extreme reactions, too, but those are rare and have yet to be attributed directly to mold - though an attorney may counsel differently.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the level of health risk associated with mold should be evaluated on the basis of whether a member or members of the household falls into one of the risk groups. Even if no one in the household is at risk, being exposed to mold is not a good thing and it should be removed and the reasons for the mold should be addressed.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: