screw pops

Old 12-20-03, 07:18 PM
ryzan42
Visiting Guest
Question screw pops

your answer to Dustygirl01 about nail pops all make sense but,for the first time about amonth ago, I had a house where it seemed like half the screws popped and we did use glue. could it have something to do with the fact , we had several flooding rains about that time?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-03, 08:41 PM
how long after the house was finished did the screw pops start?

Old 12-20-03, 08:54 PM
ryzan42
Visiting Guest
1 month

Old 12-21-03, 05:16 AM
I'd say it had more to do with improper fastening than with the rain. However if the rock had drawn moisture & gotten soft, it's really hard to say.

Old 12-21-03, 08:41 AM
I agree with Awesomedell, you screwed the screw in too far.'

Old 12-21-03, 02:51 PM
ryzan42
Visiting Guest
wish i could say the answer was that easy ,but Iwent as far as to dig some mud that was was still well attached to the screw or being held on good by the paint. only found 2 screws that I can say that about ,those 2 you could push on the board and see the movement. the rest in question don't move at all and the mud has aperfect round bump where the head is . what about the board ,is it possible for it to swell just a slight amount ? I should also mention the walls are painted with egshell finish which shows the smallest blimish! also these were not visable right after painting . never seen anything like it.thanks

Old 12-21-03, 04:38 PM
I'm assuming you hung this board yourself, how was the framing? If you've got badly warped lumber used in the framing, that'll account for your screw/nail pops. Also, as I said earlier, you had mentioned it was raining alot during the job, was the rock stocked in the rain, or allowed to get damp prior to installation? Rock gets too soft, it's hard to hang it w/o damage.

This is on a lid? or wall? What thickness of rock?

Old 12-21-03, 07:44 PM
ryzan42
Visiting Guest
framing was all good , just noticing it on walls.It's all 1/2 in. board and even happened to the MR board. Stocked inside .& it wasn't noticably damp board ,it still broke [ on the cuts ] resonably clean.

Old 12-21-03, 08:58 PM
Hard to say, but I'd have to go back to fasteners sunk too deep in a few places, fix-it and move on. Best of luck & happy holidays.