Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bathroom ceiling

Visiting Guest

12-22-03, 08:54 AM   #1  
incaica
bathroom ceiling

can i use plywood first then apply plaster , to repair the bathroom ceiling? or do i need to use drywall? can someone let me know?
thank you very much and happy holidays!

Sponsored Links

MO

12-22-03, 12:04 PM   #2  
incaica,

Hello & welcome to the forums. What is the situation you're trying to repair and what caused the damage? A few more details would help us give you some pertinent advice, but as a rule, you don't use plywood under plaster. Happy holidays!

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 09:30 PM   #3  
incaica
it's å båthroom ceiling- and wåter was the source of the dåmage. probåbly a leaky roof. the owner left å bunch of pieces of pieces of drywåll behind. we could use those if they're cut to fit the spåce?

MO

12-28-03, 08:47 AM   #4  
I'd use the drywall to patch-up the damaged area. It sounds like maybe the old ceiling is maybe plaster & lath? If that's the case and you've got any significant area to try & patch up, probably best to just pull all of the plaster & lath off the ceiling and replace it with a drywall ceiling. While you're there, I'd highly advise adding a vent fan in the bathroom if it doesn't have one.

If the old ceiling is drywall, then cut back the damaged area and patch in a like-sized piece of drywall, key thing is to insure what your patching with is the same THICKNESS as the original, drywall ceilings are usually 5/8", make sure you've got is the same.

Hope that helps out & Happy New Year.

There's links to tutorials on repairing drywall on this page;
http://doityourself.com/wall/index.htm

KS

12-29-03, 05:12 AM   #5  
Good advice from Awesomedell, as always. What type of texture do you have?

Search this Thread