Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attaching to Stucco

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 03:17 PM   #1  
manticore
Attaching to Stucco

This is similar to another question on this board, but different enough that I thought I'd ask ...

I need to attach new vent covers to the bottom of my outside walls, as the screens are deteriorating. I bought metal vents, but I'm not sure how to secure them to my stucco walls.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

12-27-03, 03:33 PM   #2  
Are you talking about your foundation vents? I just did some for a neighbor. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you some pictures.

KS

12-29-03, 05:06 AM   #3  
How are the old ones securred.

Visiting Guest

12-29-03, 06:37 AM   #4  
manticore
There are screens in place right now that were part of the original installation - they're 'integrated' into the stucco. Most have holes in them, that's why I need to replace them. I figured the metal grates would be the easiest way to go for someone 'non-handy' like me, and it would give the same kind of look for all the vents. I'm just not sure how to apply them, and I don't want to just go off half-****ed, you know?

KS

12-29-03, 01:03 PM   #5  
If the vent covers have screw holes in them you could screw them down. Or if they don't hit any wood you could put in an anchor and screw into that.

12-29-03, 01:33 PM   #6  
I haven't caught up with the neighbor yet so I can get some pictures.........hopefully tomorrow if this storm blows through.

You're right about the vents being "integrated" into the stucco. They're nailed onto the rim joists when the house is built then stucco'ed in when they do the stucco. In a perfect world, you should break out some stucco, remove the old vents, nail in the new ones and repair the stucco. My neighbor didn't want to mess with the stucco, so I attached them to the stucco with screws and anchors. Not really pretty, but functional.

Another problem occurs if you have any pipe (hose bibs, etc) coming thru the vents - a common occurance if your house has been re-piped. I had to fur some of them out with wood, then attach the vent to the wood.

Visiting Guest

12-29-03, 06:23 PM   #7  
manticore
I fortunately don't have any pipes or hoses coming through the vents, so at least that's not a problem. Sounds like screws and anchors are going to be the way to go ....

I swear that storm made me feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ - I expected the whole house to just lift off and fly away. Right now, I'm working on building that ark ....

12-29-03, 06:51 PM   #8  
I started my ark but had to quit when I realized I couldn't figure out how long a cubit is.

Where are you? I'm in San Jose.

Visiting Guest

12-29-03, 07:41 PM   #9  
manticore
Yeah, math was never my strong suit - figures I work with computers for a living! I'm in Concord, moved from Chicago about 3 years ago. Orginally from Pittsburgh, PA with a stop in New York for 12 years - I get around.

CAL

12-30-03, 04:51 PM   #10  
A cubit is usually considered to be the length of a man's arm from elbow to longest finget tip (standardized as 18"). But possibly Noah was shorter than men today. But where are you going to get gopher wood?

12-30-03, 06:30 PM   #11  
Darn, I didn't think of that.......... Another storm heading this way, too

Search this Thread