removing 25 year old cork from walls

Old 12-28-03, 08:25 PM
cork_removal
Visiting Guest
Question removing 25 year old cork from walls

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and I'm already in need of help. I'm trying to remove cork from the walls in my living room. It's been on the walls for 25 years and it's time for it to go! I'm told that the adhesive used is 'bull glue' and I'm not really sure how to get it off. I've been scraping at it but I've only succeeded in bruising and cutting myself. Besides telling me to put on gloves, does anyone have any advice? Ideally, there's some kind of thinner/solvent out there that will just dissolve this stuff? Any ideas?

Thanks!
cork_removal

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-03, 09:09 PM
What's behind the cork......... drywall or plaster? If it's drywall, you're in for a job. That adhesive is about as permanent as death and taxes. You can scrape it off but you're going to destroy the drywall. If it were me, I would rip out the drywall and cork, then hang new drywall. Then you have a brand new surface to work with.

Old 12-29-03, 05:16 AM
What are you using to scrape with. It's been my experiance that the old glue comes off. It usually comes off with the drywall paper but it does come off pretty easily. Maybe you should try a different scraper.

Old 12-29-03, 07:33 AM
cork_removal
Visiting Guest
thanks for your posts!

I'm using a joint knife spatula. It isn't really coming off so easily. At least not around the edges. The cork comes off but the adhesive and the older paint under it isn't budging so easily. Are there other scrapers that would be more helpful?

Yes, it is drywall. Yes, it is coming off in small increments. I have no idea how to hang dry wall or where to start to rip it out. Can you even rip out the drywall of a rental property?

I know that chemicals are kind of a no-no but it could be helpful, no? Any ideas about solvents or thinners?

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-03, 08:09 AM
Yeah, you probably don't want to rip down the drywall if you're renting.......that usually really annoys the landlord.

The landlord is OK with removing the cork, I hope.

To answer some of your questions;

1. I know of no solvent or thinner that will loosen the glue without seriously damaging the surrounding drywall. Mechanical scraping is about the only answer.

2. A drywall taping knife (spatulas are for cooking - lol) IS NOT the tool of choice for this job. They're way too flexible to be effective. . Look at your local home center for paint scrapers. Red Devil, for example makes several sizes ranging from 1" to 2-1/2" wide. You might want to get a couple of different sizes.

Are you really sure you want to tackle this project? You WILL damage the drywall scraping off the old glue, so some repairs will be required. With luck, they will be limited to skim coating the bad spots with drywall compound and sanding them smooth. There's a good chance that you'll need to patch some spots with new pieces of drywall - something of an artform to make them invisible.

It's your call (and maybe the landlord's). My suggestion would be to pass on this project and learn to live with the cork.

Old 12-29-03, 08:44 AM
cork_removal
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I wish that I would have done more research into the difficulty of this job before starting it. Unfortunately, I have to take down at least one wall of this cork as I'm already mostly done with it. I will definitely get a better scraper and a pair of decent gloves and finish the wall that I've started.

thanks!