Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to stop squeaks in floor?

NY

01-05-04, 10:12 AM   #1  
How to stop squeaks in floor?

Hello,

I couldn't find a Flooring forum, so I thought I'd post this here. I've got a 2.5 year old house. In 1 bedroom on the second floor there are some spots on the floor that make a loud squeak or popping noise. How can I stop this? The floor has carpeting and I can't get to the underneath since it's on the 2nd floor. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Sponsored Links

01-05-04, 11:57 AM   #2  
Im not sure what everyone else does.....but i take a 8 penny nail and pound it through the carpeting into the joists. use a punch to sink it flush with the wood.

finding the joist is a little tricky though. might take 2 or 3 in various spots.

NY

01-05-04, 12:41 PM   #3  
Does doing this ever cause a problem in summer when the wood might try to expand? And does this harm the carpet at all? I just don't want to cause more problems I guess.

Mark

KS

01-05-04, 01:47 PM   #4  
I've seen some who put a screw all the way through the carpet into the floor joist as well.

01-05-04, 02:55 PM   #5  
I've seen a special screw made to break off just below the surface when it's screwed in. They're made just for this purpose. Try looking for McFeelys web site. They sell just about every kind of screw fastener known to the civilized world.

01-06-04, 01:12 PM   #6  
Originally posted by Indiana627
Does doing this ever cause a problem in summer when the wood might try to expand? And does this harm the carpet at all? I just don't want to cause more problems I guess.

Mark

the noise is from the underlayment/plywood not sitting all the way down on the joist...caused by not enough nails or a nail that worked loose. nothing bad will happen. unless you put the nail through a water pipe, or a live wire.

01-06-04, 01:26 PM   #7  
You make a small hole in the carpet when you do this, but if you separate the carpet tufts to drive the screw, you should be fine.

Floors squeak because nails have loosened over the years and that allows movement. The squeaking you hear is a board rubbing against another board or against the loosened nail.

Yet another reason to lay subflooring with glue and screws and leave the nails in the truck.

Search this Thread