Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Stripping a ceiling that may have asbestos?

Stripping a ceiling that may have asbestos?

Old 01-08-04, 03:48 PM
JenTheWifey
Visiting Guest
Question Stripping a ceiling that may have asbestos?

My dad has agreed to having hubby and I live in his amazing condo right on the beach- but in place of rent, we have to redo it.

The ceiling may have asbestos, but he isn't sure and he doesn't want to pay to have it tested. He's decided that he'd like us to completely strip it.

I know that there are pleanty of precautions and special things that we have to do since there's a chance it does have asbestos.

Do any of you know what we need to do? I've never done anything like this. I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Thanks everybody!!
Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-04, 06:13 AM
Hi Jen and welcome to the diy forums.

We need to know more about this condo, before any useful advice can be given.

How old is the building? Any remodeling done since it was initially built? What type of ceiling? Assuming it must be drywall with an acoustical texture sprayed on since there is asbestos concern. Asbestos hasn't been used in drywall products since the mid 70s to the best of my knowledge. Having a sample tested should be under $100, for what it's worth I think it's $$ well spent.

Post back & we'll get you on the right track.

Last edited by awesomedell; 01-09-04 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-09-04, 06:18 AM
Check the yellow pages for asbestos testing companies. They can tell you if you have asbestos and give you information about dealing with it.

One option is to paint over it and leave it there. It isn't a hazard until/unless it's airborne.

Old 01-09-04, 06:37 AM
Like Awesomedell mentioned, post back with more answers. For a lot of people leaving that stuff up is not an option.

Old 01-09-04, 08:10 AM
JenTheWifey
Visiting Guest
Thank you everybody for replying !

The building was built in 1970, so asbestos is a real concern. There are only two other units and both of the people that live in them have stripped the ceilings themselves- unfortunately, neither have tested for asbestos either.

There has been absolutely nothing done to this unit but a few rounds of new carpet since it was built (yuck, you can imagine the updating needed).

You were right dell about the sprayed ceiling- it's the nasty popcorn stuff.

Dave- I'd LOVE to just paint over it, however, my dad isn't interested. We're fixing it up to hopefully sell it. He had the place appraised for 475,000... looking at it now, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

If I've left anything else out, let me know... it's a bit early lol.

Take care everyone!!!

Old 01-09-04, 10:28 AM
1970 vintage acoustical texture is a definite possibility that it contains asbestos.

If I've left anything else out, let me know... it's a bit early lol.
If by this, you mean you are just in the planning phase, that's good, I'd still highly advise that you have the stuff tested, might check w/ local college lab, sometimes services are discounted at these places. Have you looked at this article, http://doityourself.com/wall/cottagecheese.htm

Another thought, asbestos isn't hazardous unless it's disturbed & becomes air-borne, if it's just on the ceilings, could think about just dropping the light fixtures & what not & just covering the existing lid with fresh drywall.

If you're still inclined to try this yourself, let us know.

Last edited by awesomedell; 01-10-04 at 10:04 PM.