Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to fill in hole left by wall AC unit

Visiting Guest

01-12-04, 05:05 PM   #1  
The Mule
How to fill in hole left by wall AC unit

I live in a NYC highrise that features large hotel style AC wall units. I recently removed one of them, and now there is basically a hole that goes all the way to the outside. The metal casement housing extends all the way to the exterior, where there is a vent.

I currently have a big block of foam wedged in there to keep the draft out, but I obviously want to fill this in properly. How best to do it? I imagine I would have to somehow remove the casement - it is very securely attached and I'm not sure how to go about it. But then I imagine I would need insulation, weather proofing and then sheetrock, of course... I'll see if I can snap a photo. That might help...

Thanks in advance!
The Mule

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-20-04, 09:18 PM   #2  
The Mule
Nobody can offer me any advice on how to go about this?

KS

01-21-04, 06:28 AM   #3  
cut that metal out of there will snips or sawzall. Put studs in so there is 5/8" shy of flush on the inside. put insulation in and attach a piece of 5/8" drywall on the inside and finish. The outside is going to be the tough part and I am not an expert at that so hopefully someone else can help. What is on the outside of your building?

Visiting Guest

01-21-04, 07:38 AM   #4  
The Mule
Thanks, coops. The outside can stay as is, I believe (i.e. the metal grate). I was thinking of putting plastic sheeting over the inside of the grate, and then the insulation. The building's exterior is brick.

I'm trying to get the metal off now, and it's REALLY hard. The metal snips just aren't strong enough. Don't have a sawzall, so I'll have to see if I can find one.

Search this Thread