Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Finishing drywall - what else "reduces" imperfections

Old 01-13-04, 08:28 AM
jf99
Visiting Guest

I just started my 2nd coat of mud yesterday (in the closet so it won't be seen much and I don't think I did a very good job of it. My first coat was fine, really happy with that.

I'm interested in knowing the tips/tricks you all have regarding the steps that should or could be done to reduce all the imperfections in the mud job. The reason I ask is that I'm new to this (at least on a job this scale and every step) and since I can't redo the rooms (after texuring and painting), I want to make sure that I've taken every precaution beforehand. I've also never seen a finished job before, so I don't exactly know what a poor or great job looks like.

Sanding coats (2nd & 3rd) helps, but does the Primer have any ability to hide imperfections?...from what I've read it seems adding paint enhances them. Texturing should be forgiving when it comes to hiding problems, but how well does it?

thanks, j

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-04, 11:36 PM
jf99,

Hello & welcome aboard!

A texture coat will hide some mistakes & highlight others. Best tip I can give you is a good light. Shine it on the wall at different angles & it will help you pick out the imperfections.

No matter what your finish is to be, you really still need 2 coats of mud after the the tape is imbedded. The better you get at muddin the less sandin you'll be doin.

Old 01-14-04, 08:03 AM
jf99
Visiting Guest
That's good, cuz I am going to do 2 coats.

I should've clarified in my first post, but, does the priming paint help cover problems? I'm referring to a product called SHEETROCK First Coat (or something similar) that actually claims to cover small pock marks in the mud.

Additionally, I tested out sanding an area that I had applied a second coat to, using the fine grit mesh sand paper, and it left little grooves in the mud. I can't imagine I'm doing anything wrong, it is just sanding, and I let the coat dry for 24 hours.

Thanks for your post (and the welcome) - i've been a lurker for a long time now.

Old 01-14-04, 09:00 AM
I always sand with a fine grit sanding sponge. The paint itself won't hide many imperfections. I know there is a behr product that claims it does but who knows. A large nap roller, 3/4", will hide a lot.

Old 01-14-04, 09:04 AM
jf99
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Excellent, that's what I needed to know, and I'll check out that sponge. Thanks.

Old 01-14-04, 09:05 AM
No problem. Good luck.