Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster

Visiting Guest

01-16-04, 11:11 AM   #1  
DesertChildAZ
Plaster

I just bought my first home and it has plaster walls throughout (built in the 60s). Everyone keeps telling me that I would have difficulty displaying my artwork on these walls because it's very easy to crack the plaster when inserting nails, etc.

What recommendations can you offer, for nailing into plaster and in hanging heavy artwork, to prevent cracking of the plaster?

~ Kelly

Sponsored Links

NC

01-16-04, 04:55 PM   #2  
Best not to try to nail plaster.
You have two better choices.
Drill (small masonry bit) holes for expandable wall anchors such as butterfly bolts if its on a frame wall (or lead anchors if it's a masonry wall), or install wood crown molding at the ceiling and hang the art with long wires down from it.
Good Luck!

MO

01-16-04, 08:31 PM   #3  
I'd opt for the wall anchors suggestion, no wires to distract from your artwork.

Visiting Guest

01-16-04, 09:16 PM   #4  
bungalow jeff
Shucks, when you use brass or copper wire and nice hooks, pictures look great hanging from picture molding. Plus, after repairing the plaster walls in my house, I don't want anyone trying to put holes in it!

Search this Thread