Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wall condensation!!!!

Visiting Guest

01-17-04, 03:18 PM   #1  
Mattmold
wall condensation!!!!

..well the problem is not really on my wall, its in one cabinet. 4 years ago we installed new cabinets in the kitchen. The drain for the sink cut through a couple of the old cabinets and went into a pipe in the wall. So, we had to make the hole in the wall bigger to cap the pipe. This was in an outside wall mind you. We ran a new pipe through the flooe and connected it to the drain. So, here's were I kick myself in the rear. We didn't patch the hole (2'x2' appx.) in the wall, we just put the cabinet in front of it. Now were getting mass condensation on the inside of the cabinet. I remember that there was faced insulation in the wall. I have to remove the sink, facuet, countertop, bottom trim, and cabinet to fix this hole. HOW DO I SEAL IT UP??? I was thinking of fixing any rot, adding new insulation, (unfaced) putting a 6mil. vapour barrier, adding some steel mesh (old wall is plaster) and plastering overtop and putting a coat of primer to seal the plaster. Please tell me this will stop the draft, condensation, and any further damage. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 06:56 AM   #2  
mudder
you've got it you can forgo steel mesh make sure you tape the joints, caulk or tuck tape the poly to the face of the surrounding vapour barrier. No guarantee because this is one of the reasons noone uses that faced insulation, Ontario was/is the only province that allows it, but its the best you can do for a patch.

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 10:38 AM   #3  
Mattmold
thanks for the reply mudder. I don't think there is a current vapour barrier installed. The house is about 50 years old and I think all they have is fully faced insulation in there.

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 12:53 PM   #4  
mudder
the paper on the inside face of the insulation is the vapour barrier in that situation.

Search this Thread