Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall question

Visiting Guest

01-20-04, 05:39 AM   #1  
ddanco
Drywall question

Hello,

I am about ready to stall hanging drywall in my basement. My question is:

I do not want a smooth finish on my walls, I like the plaster id, but what I don't understand is do you have to have a certain type of drywall hung in order to have plaster over top of it?? Someone at work told me that and I didn't understand. Also is there a type of paint that is out there that allows you to easily plaster a wall??? Kind've new at this. Some links to websites would be a big help.

Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links

KS

01-20-04, 01:29 PM   #2  
If you are going to put real plaster on the lid then, yes, you do have to hang blue board or apply a plaster bonder. IF you are just going to put texture on with drywall mud then no bonder is needed.

Visiting Guest

01-21-04, 03:50 AM   #3  
ddanco
Is the drywall mud what is typically used? In most of rooms in the rest of my house my walls have a texture that looks like a fan swipe all over the walls. Is drywall mud what was used and if so I can put this on the typicall sheet of drywall you buy at Lowes, Home Depot etc????

KS

01-21-04, 06:24 AM   #4  
Yes drywall mud is what you want to use and you can go over regular drywall.

Visiting Guest

01-21-04, 06:35 AM   #5  
ddanco
Thanks a bunch, is the "fan" technique pretty easy to do and what is the official name for it??? Thanks

Search this Thread