Crack In Sheet Rock

Old 01-20-04, 09:28 AM
Crack In Sheet Rock

can someone give me some advice on how to repair a 10" small crack in sheet rock. i have repaired it before with sheet rock putty but after awhile the crack comes back.the crack starts at molding around door & runs about 10" up towards ceiling.
thanks for any advice.
mccoy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-04, 01:38 PM
Screw some screws on either side of the crack. Put mesh tape over the crack. Put 3 coats of mud over the tape. The final patch should be about 26 inches wide.

Old 01-20-04, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by coops28
Screw some screws on either side of the crack. Put mesh tape over the crack. Put 3 coats of mud over the tape. The final patch should be about 26 inches wide.
please tell me what the screws are for & what do you mean by the final patch being 26"
this crack is only about 1/8" wide.
thanks--mccoy

Old 01-21-04, 06:23 AM
Since there is a crack in the drywall it is loose. Putting screws along the crack will tighten it down so the crack won't come back. After you tape the crack there will usually be a hump. You must put mud on either side of the tape to feather this hump out flat. Twelve inches on either side of the tape pluse 2 inches for the tape is 26 inches.

Old 01-23-04, 10:15 AM
Since there is a crack in the drywall it is loose. Putting screws along the crack will tighten it down so the crack won't come back. After you tape the crack there will usually be a hump. You must put mud on either side of the tape to feather this hump out flat. Twelve inches on either side of the tape pluse 2 inches for the tape is 26 inches.
one more question about the screws.
do i put screws on both sides or just one side & how far do i screw the screws in sheetrock. also if the screws do not screw into something under side of sheet rock how do the screws help.
you know by now i am inexperienced with this type of work but i want to fix it myself.
thanks--mccoy

Old 01-23-04, 12:22 PM
If the crack is above a door then you will most likely have a header there to screw into. Put the screws on either side of the crack and just below the surface. Too much and they arent holding, too little and they will stick out. If there isn't anything to screw into then forget the screws and just tape the crack.

Old 01-23-04, 11:05 PM
If the crack is above a door then you will most likely have a header there to screw into. Put the screws on either side of the crack and just below the surface. Too much and they arent holding, too little and they will stick out. If there isn't anything to screw into then forget the screws and just tape the crack.
I really do appreciate the advice you have gave me & now i think i can repair the crack.
thanks--mccoy

Search this Thread