Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard Acoustic Ceiling?

01-24-04, 09:44 AM   #1  
Hard Acoustic Ceiling?

I just bought a new home that was built in 1958. It has acoustic popcorn throughout except the bathrooms and kitchen. I was planning on wetting and scraping, but now i do not know what to do because it appears this is a hard plaster acoustic texture. Is that even possible, or is the older acoustic just harder than the new stuff and will come off with water and scraping? It looks like the ceilings have been painted several times over the years.

Anyway i need advice on how to make apprximately 1400sf of ceilings smooth. I have about a month to do smooth ceilings and paint the whole interior before i move in. I have recessed lighting throughout the house, and 3 ceiling fans to work around.

I have done drywall patching, but never mudded a ceiling. If this is plaster acoustic, is it realistic to apply mud over it to smooth out, or will my arms feel like they will fall off from doing all that mudding on a ceiling. any recommendations on mud for ceilings. Any other tools to make it easier. Would it be better if i just put up some thin drywall like 1/4" to finish faster. How bad will that affect the recessed lighting and ceiling fans?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-04, 01:31 PM   #2  
mudder
with all that paint on it and it most probably is oil paint as alot of people painted with oil so it wouldnt soften an come off, I sure wouldnt try to scrape it off. My only rcommendation is to apply 1/2 inch drywall taped and finished. 1400 sf is a lot of bullwork to scrape and the gouges and scratches to patch .......

Search this Thread