Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Finding a stud behind wire mesh & plaster

Old 01-24-04, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a stud-finder that isn't working on a wall that has wire mesh and plaster on top. The stud finder thinks the whole wall is a stud, and I highly doubt that's the case. Would a better stud-finder work? Or am I going to have to just drill little holes to find a stud?

Thanks so much
-Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 02:59 PM
Find the nearest electrical switch or receptacle and remove the cover. See if you can determine on which side of the electrical box the stud is located. If you can locate the stud, mark the wall 3/4" from the edge of the electrical box. This should be the center of the stud.

Put some painters tape (the blue stuff) on the wall and mark off 16" increments toward where you're trying to locate the stud. When you've located where you think the stud should be, use a fine drill (1/8") to verify the location of the stud. Make sure the bit is long enough to go thru the lath/plaster and hit wood.

Stud finders are great gadgets, but they fail miserably on lath & plaster walls - pipes and wires behind drywall can confuse them, too.

Old 01-24-04, 03:24 PM
Hey- you're the same Dave that answered my question about the level floor!!!

Thanks for the info on this too. I had absolutely no idea what to do.
-Jim

Old 01-24-04, 03:26 PM
Wish someone would show me how to make a buck consulting.

Old 01-27-04, 05:11 AM
"Stud finders are great gadgets," Great gadget to take up room in your toolbox, got one for xmas I don't know 3-4 yrs ago, tried it a few times, never worked for crap, so there it sits in the bottom drawer of the toolbox. Course I told my better half who purchased it that it's a fine tool Thanks so much Honey!

But I hear ya Dave, on the gettin paid as an consultant, if I knew the answer to that one I would crawled back into bed this morning when I looked out at the 6" or 8" of fresh xnow on top of that wonderful 1/4" glazing of ice we had a couple of days ago. But it's the same old story. I owe. I owe, so off to work I go!

Old 01-28-04, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Jim,
If Dave's 16" centers don't work, try 24" centers. You may find them in older homes.
Good Luck!