Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Look at my floorplan & pictures, need cost estimate?

Visiting Guest

01-27-04, 08:38 AM   #1  
MPScan
Look at my floorplan & pictures, need cost estimate?

I'm turning the attic space in my house into a huge bedroom/rec. room/office and looking to get a price quote and general idea of what the scope of this project would be. Also need the pros and cons of drywall vs. paneling in an attic space. I am not exactly sure what would be the best balance of cost vs. functionality.

The attic is roughly 28' by 17'.

Room floorplan, layout, dimensions, and pictures can be seen at:
http://www.mpscan.com/attic

Does anyone who someone who can do this for a fairly inexpensive price or have any ideas as to the cost/time/etc?

Sponsored Links

MO

01-28-04, 05:29 AM   #2  
MPScan

Hello & welcome aboard! Just doing my morning check here while waiting on the van to warm up from our -1 degree low last night, I'll give your pics a look see tonight. BTW what part of the country are you in? Construction costs can vary alot depending on where you live.

Visiting Guest

01-28-04, 05:44 AM   #3  
MPScan
Thank you!

I actually just bought this house in Everett, Massachusetts (about 5-10 miles north of Boston) about a month ago and this is going to be the first thing that I can tackle. I think the floorplan/dimensions and pictures explain alot!

Let me know what you think.....

MO

01-29-04, 05:29 AM   #4  
Sorry, was totally beat last night, tried giving the pics a look this morning, but you're right they take a min to load (man I'll be glad when they get high speed access out here to the sticks!), should be an easier day today & I really will give them a look tonight.

MO

01-30-04, 04:50 AM   #5  
Looks to me like you'd need something like 1200 s/f of board to do your attic, and from the looks of that window it's a newer vinyl window, so with any luck you can get a drywall supplier to boom it in thru there, which eliminates the hassle of trying to carry it upstair. In your area I thinking construction costs are quite a bit higher than here, so I'd say for the hang & finish, I'd say you're looking at somewhere around $1500-$1600.

Panellin would be easier, to get up there, but I don't think you'd save anything on material vs drywall. Also paneling is meant to be installed over a solid wall, putting it up directly over studs leaves some pretty flimsy areas between studs and easy to accidently knock a hole in.

Other thing you'll need to consider & this really should be your first concern is checking with local bldg code enforcement as to what is allowed by code in your area. Best bet would be to stop by their office & have a chat with them. You can get some general info on local codes & required permits at this site. http://www.permitplace.com/links/dem...yValues=51,0,0

Hope that helps out & do post back if there's still questions. Good luck!

Search this Thread