Drywall joints

Old 01-31-04, 08:21 PM
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
Drywall joints

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to drywall my basement. The walls are 9' high--well actually about 8'8" after the slab was poured. I want to hang the drywall horizontally as this will minimize the seems.

So is it better to have two horizontal seems--one at 4', and the next at 8' above the floor, or is it better to place an ~8" wide strip of drywall in the middle between the two 4' high sheets and end up with one really wide seem when its all done.

In the latter case, I'd have two tapered edges each adjoining a non tapered edge of the narrower strip.

I plan to hang it, but hire out the finishing as I don't feel I have the skill to do it professionally.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-04, 04:19 AM
Well if you're limited to usinf standard 4' wide sheets, I'd put that 8" rip in the middle of the wall. I hate having a horizontal seem up high on the wall & down low on the wall is even worse on the back. What you can do that'll make your finisher's job easier is to use your knife & cut the front side of your cut edge at like a 45 degree angle, this will allow the joint to finish out much better.

However, what you might want to think about is seeking out a drywall supplier in your area & purchase what is known as stretch rock from them. It's 54" wide instead of the atandard 4" & is just what you want on 9' walls. Other advantage of buying from a drywall supply house is that their stock is better rotated and generally your material is in better condition to start with over what you can get thru lumber yds & discount outfits.

Another thought, since you've already decided to hire out the finishing, get some bids on the entire drywall project. I've done jobs where the homowner would have actually saved $$ if I had done the whole project. Hangin board isn't as easy as it looks the first time you try it.

Good luck! What part of the world are you in? Might be able to recommend a good finisher in your area.

Old 02-01-04, 07:25 AM
I agree with Awesomedell. I usually put the rip in the middle because I like to finish the band standing on my feet.

Old 02-01-04, 03:55 PM
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
I had never heard of stretchrock. Sounds like a great idea. I'll check into it.

I'll also have the whole project bid on. I live in Cincinnati BTW.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-01-04, 04:57 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
not to play devils advocate but I would never put a butt against a tapered edge and when taping vertical sheets on walls higher than 8ft stagger the added piece 1 piece above on 1 sheet and below on the next. For me it means less waste, less mud,less chance of a bad joint running all the way across a room.

Old 02-02-04, 07:31 AM
It's a lot easier to finish anything at eye level. Also we are talking about horizontal not vertical. Make sure you pre fill the tapered edge against the non tapered before tape.

Old 02-02-04, 10:15 AM
Yeah we were talking about laying 'em down and putting the rip at mid-wall is the easiest way to deal with it if you're stuck with standard 4' sheets. The pre-fill will be a must as coops mentioned. I use 90 minute for that, take a break, come back scrape the boogers off with a knife, break out the banjo & start taping, if I'm feeling real ambitious that day go ahead & run first coat fill coat, but I don't get in that big of a hurry this time of year.

Buzz-- Stretch rock would really be the way to go for that basement. I'd guess 99% of the world never heard of it, unless they've worked in the trade. Living in a metro area like you are, I don't think you'll have any problem finding it locally, look under drywall suppy in the yellow pages or just run "drywall supply Cincinnati" on google & you'll get some ph numbers. Good luck!

Search this Thread