wallpaper stuck on drywall

Old 02-01-04, 12:44 PM
lgliser
Visiting Guest
wallpaper stuck on drywall

My husband and I wanted to take down the wallpaper in our bathroom that came with the house. Well it turns out that it's stuck right on to the drywall. We have been using a scorer and some gel and scraping it down, but it's taking a lot of the surface of the drywall with it. Is this ok? Can we patch it all up and make it a smooth surface so we can paint it? We have only started on one wall - would it be smarter to just paint over the wallpaper on the other walls? Or how about if we decide to just put tiles over it all? Can you tile over wallpaper? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-04, 05:02 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Removing the wallpaper now is most likely the best thing to do. Youwill be able to 'skim coat' the wall afterwards with drywall mud to make a smooth surface. Trouble with just painting is that eventually if not immediatly the paper will lift and its even harder to remove the rest and the seems in the paper show thru. No I'm pretty sure you cannot put tile directly over walpaper.

Old 02-01-04, 05:43 PM
lgliser
Visiting Guest
thanks!

Thanks for the help.

So do you think even if the wallpaper is on there really well, that it would eventually start peeling up? We wouldn't want that...

Thanks again.

Old 02-02-04, 06:29 AM
I agree with Mudder completely, the seams in the wallpaper will definitely show-up thru the paint. And you'd never want to tile over wallpaper, in fact IMO you shouldn't even put tile over drywall in a bathroom, unless this is just a half bath w/o tub or shower. Best tool I've found for removing old wallpaper is an old drywall knife, (I say old because I make my living with my knives & I don't want no nicks on the blade for doing mud)

Scrape off the wallpaper, skim the wall to a smooth surface with lite joint compound, odds are your first coat of mud will blister in spots. When the first coat of mud is dry, go back & cut out the blisters with a utility knife & reskim the effected areas. Allow that to thoroughally dry & then apply good primer & paint.

It also been suggested here previously that appling a product called plaster weld over the wall prior to skim coat will reduce or eliminate the blisters I referred to, I haven't tried this method, but you might want to give it a shot. Good luck.