Mold behind drywall

Old 02-03-04, 10:32 AM
tenplay
Visiting Guest
Mold behind drywall

We recently had a water leak, that has since been repaired. The carpet layer made a hole in the wall when using some kind of carpet stretcher that he braced against the wall. He pointed out some blackish mold behind the drywall and suggested that we have that section of the wall replaced. Not only will it be costly but it will be difficult to match the paint and texture of the repaired section with the rest of the wall. Is it possible
that the mold will disappear with time since the leak has been fixed? It would be much easier to patch the hole than replace a large section of the wall. Also someone suggested drilling small holes in the drywall and spraying a bleach solution into the holes. Would that work? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-04, 11:56 AM
Was the mold in the vicinity of where the water leaked into the wall? If so, spraying a bleach solution may take care of the problem.

You'll need to do something because mold seldom just goes away.

Old 02-03-04, 12:27 PM
tenplay
Visiting Guest
mold behind drywall

Yes, the water leak was from the washing machine hose and went under the wall in question into the adjoining family room, where it caused additional damage to the floor. Do you think that the suggestion to drill small holes in the wall and spray a bleach solution through the holes is a good one? Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-04-04, 06:48 AM
One problem with spraying anything thru a small hole is that you won't know if you sprayed everything that needed it. You also have to be careful to not soak the walls and create other problems.

The best solution is to open the wall so you can see the extent of the damage. My recommendation would be to open the wall across the hole and the stud bays on either side. A 6" wide opening should be wide enough to see what's going on. If the adjacent stud bays have mold, open the next two. Keep going until you find no evidence of mold or water damage. Treat the mold and fix any other damage if necessary then close the wall and re-texture and re-paint.

Talk to your homeowners insurance company about the cost. Most policies will cover the cost of repairing damage so you may only have to pay the deductible. They may also have recommendations for contractors who can deal with the paint & texture issues.

Old 02-04-04, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If possible do not report water damage to your insurance company. Mold problems are an big issue, the claim will go on their national database and the home will be hard to insure. If you sold the house the new buyers may have to pay a very high premium to get insurance. I have seen buyers back out of the deal for just that reason.

Old 02-05-04, 06:08 AM
Mike-

Isn't the cat already out of the bag on this? How would you deal with the disclosures when/if the property is put up for sale?

Old 02-05-04, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trying to answer this question without practicing law is difficult. Disclosures are different in each state. Every attorney has their own opinion. If the disclosure asks for existing conditions and the condition has been repaired and no longer exists, you may not have to disclose it. If has had an insurance claim it will be a problem with the insurance company. I would fix it myself and not make a claim. If I went to sell it I would seek an attorney to help me fill out the disclosure.