1 5/8" steel studs for basement

Old 02-05-04, 01:38 PM
buttcatt
Visiting Guest
1 5/8" steel studs for basement

i came across 1 5/8" steel studs in my local home depot. can these be used for wall construction, or is it for something else? any downsides to using 1 5/8" compared to 2 1/2"? im thinking about using the 1 5/8" to frame walls in my basement. i plan on using 1/2" sheetrock. my basement is a little small so i could definitely use the extra space down there, as small as it may be.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 10:27 PM
Excellent choice for the application you have in mind. A couple of things, use self tapping metal screw instead of regular drywall screws for attaching the board. Doors & windows should be framed out in wood. Do a seach on metal stud framing & you'll find some interesting & useful info if you decide to go that way. Best of luck.

Old 02-05-04, 11:37 PM
buttcatt
Visiting Guest
Re: 1 5/8" steel studs for basement

when framing for doors and windows, how much of the partition should be wood?

my only concern is theres going to be a 32" solid core door, roughly dead center in a partition wall im building in my basement. the wall is about 25ft long. i plan on doing about 6' of the wall where the door is out of wood, and the rest steel studs. so its about 9' of steel studs, then the door/wood studs, then another 9' of steel studs. so i have the RO framing for the door and a little extra wood framing for support on each side, hopefully? would this be a bad idea?

Old 02-06-04, 10:18 AM
The steel framed wall will be every bit as sturdy as a wall built with wood studs. Wood frame outs for doors are usually just a doubled 2"x4" to accomodate finish nails for hanging prehung door units.