Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

shelf hanging question - I posted on fasteners too, but no response

Old 02-06-04, 10:28 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a large shelf that I would like to affix to a wall. It is 48" long and has keyholes bored into the supports. By itself, the shelf weighs just under 10lbs and is made of light wood (pine or balsam). I plan to use it to showcase collectible figurines, frames and trophies. I would like to center this shelf over a nice oak bureau that is 36", but to center on wall, I will miss the studs. I would rather not damage the wall should I decide to move this at a later point in time.

My questions:

* should I use the keyholes to support the shelf? soft wood and I don't want the weight to splinter/break and fall.
* should I affix sawtooth hangers? the sawtooth hangers affix with tiny nails - will this be strong enough? again, falling/breaking concerns.
* won't screws or molly-bolts permanently damage the wall?

When I hang small lightweight picture frames I use sawtooth hangers on the frame and a wire nail driven down at a 45 degree angle. If the photo is large/heavy I use a picture hanger (45 degree nail with metal to catch the wire or saw tooth hanger.

I await your comments/suggestions as I would like to FINALLY cross this project off my "to-do" list. Thank you.

Old 02-07-04, 06:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, If I was planning on havinf valuable, breakable object on this I want the shelf well secured, so I'd use a standard drywall anchor, even if you did decide to remove the piece from that position all you'd have is three small holes (about 1/4"-1/2") that could easily & quickly fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: