Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster Repair vs New Drywall

Visiting Guest

02-07-04, 11:51 AM   #1  
WesSnipes7
Plaster Repair vs New Drywall

I have a house that I just purchased and all the walls/ceilings are plaster. Its a two-story house 3 BRs upstairs. The bedrooms have some cracks in the plaster and pretty much all the ceilings throughout the house are cracked slightly. I figured I would texture (stipple) the ceilings after I repaired the cracks in the ceilings to sorta blend in the defects in the plaster. My question is...would it be better to rip out the plaster walls in the bedrooms and leave the plaster ceilings and replace the plaster walls with brand new drywall? Which would be a smoother project? I think I would just rather replace the plaster walls with drywall board rather than to try and fix all the cracks, but I am certainly novice at either route, so I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MO

02-07-04, 05:05 PM   #2  
If the plaster is still tight to the lath, probably easier to repair what you've got. If it feels spongy & has give to it when pressed on, you need to either rip it out & replace with new drywall or else go over it with drywall. Overlaying the drywall will require some trim to need to be recut to use it again.

Search this Thread