Tray or Recessed Ceilings

Old 02-11-04, 05:28 PM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
Tray or Recessed Ceilings

I'm going to be putting in a tray ceiling one of these months, just was curious if others had and what type? Meaning- was it 45 degree angle up, or was it 90 degree up. I've seen and heard of many types, just was curious of what others have done or heard of being done. If anyone has pics, I would love to see them.

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-04, 01:34 AM
Sen them done both ways, 90 & 45 degree. What really sets a ceiling of this type off is the lighting effects you can get with recessed can lights set into the sides of the bump up.

Old 02-12-04, 06:18 AM
glimbaugh
Visiting Guest
There are also other types

The tray doesn't have to be @ 45 degrees. It can be at any pitch / angle that works for you.
Also if you have enough height you can put several vertical steps. This will give a dramatic look and makes a great location for lighting in one of the steps

<blockquote><blockquote>/////////////////////////////</blockquote> </blockquote>
<blockquote><blockquote> / </blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote><blockquote> / </blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>/////// </blockquote>
<blockquote> / </blockquote>
<blockquote> / </blockquote>
/////////

The line just above this text would be the low part of the ceiling. Then you will notice that you have two vertical jumps. The lower one is a great place for lighting.

Greg

Sorry but the picuture above doesn't look like it does in preview!

I will see if I can find a pic to put up

Let me know if you need more info

Well since this won't let me post pictures I put html tags around the picture it sort of looks right now.

Last edited by glimbaugh; 02-20-04 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 09:45 PM
Yeah if you've got the ceiling height, a multi-layer tray lids can make quite a statement say in a master bedroom of a formal dining rm.

Old 02-15-04, 05:12 PM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
yeah they can. I build them in the manufacturing plant that I work at. That's where I first thought of doing it to my own house. I have 9 foot ceilings, so I'll probably drop it down a foot at a 45 angle, or at a 90 angle?? I still have quite decided, that's why I came here. See what others like, and if others had idea's. Anybody know any good websites where there are pics of different tray ceilings?

Thanks for all the responses!

Matt

Search this Thread