Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Joining new drywall to old plaster/drywall

IN

02-16-04, 09:44 AM   #1  
Joining new drywall to old plaster/drywall

Hey everybody,

I'm in the middle of redoing our master bedroom and I have taken down the plaster/drywall on the two exterior walls to put in insulation and redo the wiring.

I'm not sure the exact name of the existing wall material, but it looks like it's 1/4" to 3/8" drywall on the inside with a 5/8" layer of plaster on the outside. I believe this outer layer is plaster because there is no paper on it like drywall has. The house is 50 years old if that helps to say what it is.

My question is, what's the best way to join the new drywall to this existing material? Do I need to sand it down to a tapered edge, or should I just be able to feather the compound out over the paint? I have a nice clean edge for the most part, but I didn't know if the tape and compound would cause a noticeable mound. I also didn't know if the paint would cause a problem with putting compound on top of it.

I have put up 3/8" lathes on the studs, and I'm using 5/8" drywall, so I'll match up on the depth just fine. I'm just not sure what I need to do to prep the old walls.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monty

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-16-04, 03:11 PM   #2  
mudder
sand the existing finnish to rough up the paint finish and tape and feather as usual with care the mound should be feathered enough to be unnoticeable, especially if painted with flat or eggshell sheen

MO

02-17-04, 06:28 PM   #3  
I'd go with the mesh tape, less likelyhood of that seam cracking down the road.

Search this Thread