Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall not square

Visiting Guest

02-19-04, 01:40 PM   #1  
TheWilliams
Wall not square

Hi, I asked this questions in the bathroom forum, but when I saw this forum it seemed to be a better place to post it.....

I would like to replace the wall covering around my bathtub with tiles or a surround but one of the walls is not square which creates a problem at the corner. How could I fix this?

Sponsored Links

KS

02-19-04, 02:36 PM   #2  
If you tile you can square it up with your tile mastic. Your tub surround will be square already so you wont have to worry about it.

Visiting Guest

02-20-04, 06:57 AM   #3  
TheWilliams
Thanks for the reply.....
If I decide to go with the tub surround it would leave a gap about 1 1/2 - 2 inches behind the surround in that corner. (The wall seems to slant outword, getting progressively worse at the top.) If I decide on tile, I could shim behind the backer board, but this would also leave a gap. Do you think I shoud remove the wall board to the ceiling and build it out about two inches?

Thanks again,

MO

02-20-04, 07:09 AM   #4  
With the wall being that far out of sq, I think I'd remove the wall board & sister a 2"x4" laid flat in that corner to square things out more, use shims to fine tune things.

If you decide on tile, you really should put CBU up around the tub & use thinset, the surround will be much quicker & probably a cheaper route to go.

KS

02-20-04, 12:58 PM   #5  
Wow, thats a lot. I would also remove everything and shim or fur out until square.

02-25-04, 06:10 PM   #6  
I wonder why the wall is that far out of square. What is causing this, I assume this is a outside wall. I agree with dell as to the solution but wonder if it will only continue. If you go with tile this could cause cracking at the corners. Good Luck.

MO

02-25-04, 08:05 PM   #7  
You've got a definite point Homer, but my thinking was that once it was tore out to the studs, the cause of the problem would be fairly easy to figure out. But yeah I should have included something to theat effect in my first post.

Atta boy, keep us on our toes!

Visiting Guest

02-26-04, 08:31 AM   #8  
TheWilliams
Your right, it is an outside wall. It's been like that for 25 years so I figured if the house settled like that. It's probably done settling by now. There aren't any cracks in the walls or gaps in the roof, and the foundation seems to be stable. The wall just seems to slant out. Have you ever heard of this type of problem before? If you have, what usually is done about it?

Thank all of You for your replies.....This is really helpful!!!

Search this Thread