plaster walls and drywall

Old 02-20-04, 03:27 AM
meso922
Visiting Guest
plaster walls and drywall

I'm new to this home repair stuff so bear with me if this is a dumb question. I have cracking plaster walls in the 2 upstairs bedrooms of a 70 yr old house. Can i drywall over the plaster or do i have to gut the entire room?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-04, 05:43 AM
You have 3 choices. First would be to remove plaster and hang new sheetrock. This would be a good choice if the plaster is weak and spongy. Also you could update your electrical and put insulation in the wall if necessary. Second is you can repair the plaster that is there. If the plaster is not weak or spongy you can fix the cracks and problem spots. Third choice (and worst in my opinion) is to hang drywall over the plaster. You will have to remove all your trim and recut it and re install it all. Good luck.

Old 02-22-04, 09:12 PM
rrufener
Visiting Guest
Sheetrock vs drywall

What is the difference between sheetrock and drywall? Also, if you did the third option, is that the least favorite option because of the labor/cost involved or because of anothe reason?

Old 02-23-04, 02:27 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
sheetrock and drywall is the same thing. 3rd option is the least favorable choice because it's a royal pain. Twice as much work with half the results. It's best to rip off and put up rock. If you like the plaster look as I do. Apply white coat plaster over the new rock.

Old 02-23-04, 06:28 AM
The third option is worst (IMO) cause all your doing is covering it up. You have to re do all your trim. Baseboard. door and window trim, everything. Also if the plaster isn't bad and can be repaired it is better to do that. People pay a lot of money to have brand new walls look like yours.