Repair / Replace Plaster Wall

Old 02-20-04, 02:58 PM
marcydomen
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Repair / Replace Plaster Wall

Hi!
I have a plaster wall that has cracked and fallen off from a water leak from the outside.

The area is appx. 5'x9'. The plaster is completely gone. Can I use a bonding agent and then replaster the wall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Marcy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 06:47 AM
Hello Marcy & welcome to the diy forums.

Unless you have some plastering experience, I would suggest removing the the rest of the plaster & lath from the wall & then hanging drywall.

Old 02-21-04, 03:40 PM
marcydomen
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately, I'm jumping in! It's a small project, perfect to gain some plastering experience. I've found some products from USG that I think will do the trick. I'm going to use Plaster Bond and then a 1 coat skim coat. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But if it does, then I've gained valuable experience that I'll be able to use in the future!

Old 02-21-04, 07:44 PM
Marcy,
There are a lot of plastering materials. The right one for the job makes a great deal of difference. Is the patch over wood lath? Gypsum lath? Masonry?
Let us know what kind of substrate you have, what kind of plaster you used and how it went. If it went well we'd all like to know for future refence and if it went badly we might be able to tell you how to salvage it, tell you what you did wrong or console you a little.