Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Can I hang wallboard before windows are in?

Old 02-23-04, 05:57 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest

I am re-doing a room in my house, including replacing several windows with new-contruction windows. Right now I have the rough openings for all of my windows framed, but to put the windows in requires me to take a section of the siding of the house, something I would like to avoid in February (just for the sake of my fingers in the cold).

Inside the room, things are progressing quite well, with the electrical in and the insulation going up. Soon it will be time to wall-board - do I have to put the windows in the rough openings first, or can I wall-board to the rough opening and add the windows later?

Thanks,

Steve

PS - Right now I have the window openings covered, so there is no issue with exposure of the inside materials to the elements.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 06:07 AM
It would really be better to have the windows in place prior to hanging the walls, you can do it the way you've suggested, but it may cause you some grief down the road when you get ready to trim the place out. Good luck.

Old 02-23-04, 06:33 AM
Just to elaborate on what Awesomedell was saying, you have a ROUGH opening. If you hang your rock before installing the windows then your trim might not cover and you will have to patch around them later. Ultimately you want to install windows first.

Old 02-23-04, 06:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would install the sheetrock on the wall but leave the rough opening rough. After the windows are installed sheet rock the rough openings, install the corner strips and mud.

Old 02-23-04, 10:38 PM
no offense Mike, but that sounds like double work for the same price to me, I'd still put the windows in first. Just my $.02

Old 02-24-04, 09:20 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest
The rough openings leave about 1/2"-3/4" gap between the outside of the jambs and the inside of the rough opening, and this is an old house with wide trim, so I am sure it will cover.

However, I hear what awesomedell is saying - better to have the flexibility of no wallboard when putting in windows.

Thanks,

Steve