Susp. ceiling water damage

Old 02-23-04, 08:51 AM
Countertop
Visiting Guest
Susp. ceiling water damage

We have what looks like asbestos 1x1 tile suspended (drop?) ceiling, which is in a 44-year-old house. I don't know how old this ceiling is. We had a water leak (long since repaired) and are left with brown stains on the ceiling, involving 10-12 tiles in different areas. I don't think we can replace the tiles, as they would not match, and you can't see how they were put in, as there is no metal strip grid that they are placed into, but have some kind of hidden grid behind them.

I know I can paint this with primer and handle the discoloration, but it the tiles are slightly saggy in the areas where there is water damage. Is there any way to reshape them flat again? I am thinking of jamming a large piece of plywood against the ceiling after dampening these tiles first, using wedge poles against the concrete floor for a day or two prior to painting. Would this fix it?

TIA,
Liz

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 09:58 AM
Hi Liz,
Welcome to the forums. I doubt your idea will work to reshape or flatten those old tiles.

Given your situation, I think you would be better served to overlay 1/2" sheetrock & either flat finish or texture to suit your taste.

Old 02-23-04, 10:17 AM
Countertop
Visiting Guest
Yep, that is what I was afraid of. I guess the ceiling is already so low I am loath to add anything, but it probably won't be that noticeable, and is much better than the ugly sight there presently!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-24-04, 10:03 PM
Let me clarify my reply just a bit, I'm assuming that the tiles you presently have are 12" tiles that are stapled & possibly glued to a grid of 1"x lumber framed on 12" centers, if that's the case you can put the 1/2" rock over it. Or you might want to consider just ripping out what's there back to the joists, as this could give you a bit more head room. Of course if there's an attic above this with blow-in insulation, you're talking about a real mess Good luck & post back if we can help you further.

Old 02-25-04, 07:13 AM
Countertop
Visiting Guest
Yes, what you describe sounds right. These are 12x12 tiles but you cannot see how they are attached; there are no staples or nail heads, and no grid, so glue sounds like what was used. I would love to rip it out! It is the bottom level of a tri-level, so I am guessing there are joists up there.

We are getting ready to put the house on the market, so we want to correct the defect but not have a monster project on our hands. I am beginning to think monster project is not to be avoided, since it is a 15x24' room!

Thanks again,
Liz

Old 02-25-04, 04:08 PM
Liz,

Sounds like you're wanting a quick, cheap fix that'll look good. For the total amout of lay-out in material & labor I think I'd overlay this. Anyway to get above the ceiling in the attic to see exactly what you've got up there?

Old 02-25-04, 04:15 PM
Countertop
Visiting Guest
This is the ceiling of the bottom of a tri-level, so the third level is directly above it - I don't think I can see what is in there without taking down a tile or two.

I think we will go with your suggestion and overlay it, since that is going to be simpler than tearing this stuff out and cleaning up, hauling it to the dump, etc.

I really appreciate your feedback on this, as everyone we have asked about it just shrugs their shoulders and their eyes get wide! It is definitely unsightly, though, so we are not going to leave it.

Old 02-25-04, 07:39 PM
Sounds like you've settled on a plan of action now, that's the first easy step.

You need to locate the framing & figure out which way it's running, mark framing locations in pencil on the walls so they'll be easy to find to screw up your sheets.

Might be a good idea to read this thread, before you start , post back if you're still unsure of anything. Have fun & good luck!

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...190#post555190

Old 02-25-04, 07:44 PM
Countertop
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the thread - this is extremely helpful!

Once this is done I will be posting back here with the next issue on our "honey-do" list! After the move, I am sure we will have a new crop of topics to deal with in the new house....it never ends!

Thanks again for your help,
Liz

Old 02-25-04, 08:13 PM
Anytime Liz, we're always here & worth the price charged!