Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

manufactured vs. but joints

02-23-04, 12:35 PM   #1  
manufactured vs. but joints

OK I know this is simple, but when I finish manufactured joints should I only mud as wide as the depression for the tape or go all the way out to 12 inches like a but joint?

I guess really I want to know how wide/deep each layer should be for manufactured and but joints.

I'm assuming the manufactured joint should get a coat as wide and deep as the "trough"/depression on the first topping coat and a bit wider and very thin for the last topping coat.

For but joints I'm guessing the first topping coat should be about 8" wide and very shallow and the second should be 10-12" and even shallower.

Am I anywhere close to right here?

Thanks for your help!

Guy

Sponsored Links

MO

02-23-04, 10:03 PM   #2  
Butt joints should be feathered over about 24", recess joints you can get by with a 12" feather if you know what you're doing. Hope that helps, is it's not so clear post back & we'll try again in the AM.

KS

02-24-04, 05:53 AM   #3  
Yup, thats right. On rolled edges first use 8" knife, then 10 then 12". Butt joints get 10" on either side of tape to start.

02-24-04, 06:37 AM   #4  
Thanks

Thanks for the help. And may i say both of your tag lines are right?

I really wanted to have it done but I just couldn't afford it. But I'm learning why it costs so much!

I'm sure I'll end up with a good finished project, because my wife will be inspecting. But it's not as easy as it looks....

MO

02-24-04, 07:55 AM   #5  
You're preachin to the choir!

02-24-04, 10:48 AM   #6  
Preaching to the Choir

Now preaching, THAT I can do. Also not as easy as it looks.

Visiting Guest

02-24-04, 08:20 PM   #7  
boardslinger
Before you start finishing. To determine how wide your finish is going to be, you need to put your 10" knife on the wall and look for air gaps. This will determine if you can go the typical 10" finish, or if you have to do some fancy fixing. You start out with an 8" knife. Apply and burn your edges so you have your mud roughly 6". Same with the second coat, but leaving about as close to 8" as possible. Third stroke should be done with a 10" knife. Once again burn your edges and your finish should be about 8". Same thing applies for butt joints. Unless there are alot humps or bows, so where you have to feather out far over the board, your finish should never be spread more than 10". Some guys like to go 12". I and many others think this is way to much.

MO

02-24-04, 08:52 PM   #8  
Guy,

Had to read that last post of yours twice before it sunk in, now I get it! Amen! Good luck & let us know how it's coming.

02-25-04, 02:36 PM   #9  
I've got everything taped now and the first topping coat on in one room.

It's a slow process using only my evenings. I'll let you know how it goes. Hoping to be close by Friday--my day off since I work Sundays

Next Question: How good does the ceiling need to be? I've done one topping coat, but the mud has shrunk a bit in some of the rolled joints. I plan to roll on diluted mud and stipple with one of those flat oval brushes (panda paw?).

I'll let you know how it comes out.

KS

02-25-04, 02:43 PM   #10  
Put another fill coat on the ceiling. When dry, sand lightly then texture away.

03-20-04, 09:34 PM   #11  
Done--or close to it

I finished priming today, and I must say it looks not bad. Better than more than a few pro jobs I've seen.

Now to texture the ceiling and paint, and do the finish electric, and tile the bathroom, and install the vanity and linen closet, and finish plumbing, and the doors, and trim and carpet...

This is a long haul!

Search this Thread