applying a rock wall over drywall

Old 02-26-04, 01:10 PM
dawnsnow
Visiting Guest
applying a rock wall over drywall

I have a rather unique home that my husband and I just purchased. I have one wall that I think would look really nice with some small river rocks on it. I was told that I could apply these with mortar over the existing drywall if I used chicken screen screwed onto it. Is this true? I don't want to have to tear down the drywall as there are some support beams over the top of it. Please advise.
Thanks,
Dawn

Old 02-27-04, 07:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dawn.

So what you're wanting is like a terrazzo style look, right?

It could be done as has been suggested to you over a wire lath system, some guys do actually use chicken wire for this, IMO standard metal lath would be better to use. What size rock were you thinking of using?

Actually if this is in a dry area, you could probably achieve this look by using mastic to set the rock & then grout.

Others should be along here soon with some more thoughts.

Old 02-29-04, 09:55 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
as long as the rocks are not tooo big say over 10 lbs. then use the thinset anything over that a mason mix of sand cement would bo in order real small say 4or 5 " inch rock then use the mastic and the wire lathe not chicken wire

Old 03-01-04, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the assist there floorman!

Good luck with your project Dawn, post back & let us know how you come out. You folks getting any daylight yet, or is it still dark alot this time of year?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: