Appling texture e bathroom ceiling

Old 02-27-04, 01:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appling texture e bathroom ceiling

Had to replace a piece of sheetrock on the ceiling. I went ahead and sanded all the old popcorn off the existing ceiling because I knew I wouldn't be able to spray it back to match. I got a bucket of joint compound today that says it can be used for ceiling & wall texture. I also got a round texture brush. The sales guy said to spread it on with a trowel first. My ques?? Do I have to paint the ceiling white to match the old ceiling first? (Its greenboard) How thick do I install it and how large of an area should I try to do at a time. Also, Should I paint it when finished?
Thanks for any help

Old 02-27-04, 04:12 PM
That ceiling needs to be primered before you texture and I always primer after spraying texture as well.

I use a spray rig & hopper to do texture work, yeah even in a little bathroom, I've already got the rig so it's no big deal. I think Coops & some of the other pros around here use the trowel & roller methods, I'll let them speak to that.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-04, 05:56 PM
J
Thanks, I intended not to spray but to trowel & brush, I didn't know I could roller. I guess I'll go find some primer.

Old 02-27-04, 09:07 PM
Primer should be fast drying, designed for going over fresh drywall. Are you looking at doing a crow's foot texture or what?

Old 02-28-04, 06:50 AM
J
Not sure what that is, was thinking about putting a layer of mud on, then putting the round brush up to it and twist it, creating a swirl pattern, then overlapping them. I just don't know how thick to apply the mud. Should I use a notched floor trowel to get a consistent thickness??

Old 02-28-04, 08:31 AM
Don't use a notched trowel. Thickness depends on how heavy you want your texture. You will have to play around with it.

Old 03-04-04, 04:56 PM
J
OK, Everything came out fine. thanks to all, this thread can be deleted. NEw thread coming

Old 03-14-04, 01:33 PM
L
Question Ceiling texturing

Have a spot that I repaired due to water leak in my living room ceiling. Maybe 8" x 16". Having trouble trying to match the texture. It is "pebbled", very bumpy for lack of better term. Without renting a rig to blow this onto the ceiling to match texture, is there a method to do this for a small area?

Old 03-14-04, 06:04 PM
Need more info. Try to describe it as specifically as possible so we aren't trying to guess.

Old 03-14-04, 06:56 PM
Pictures are even better, my advice really would be to follow Jedi9's example & remove all the texture skim coat , then retexture to suit.

It is "pebbled", very bumpy for lack of better term.
That description could be anything from a fine splatter to popcorn. Need more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: