Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dry wall

Visiting Guest

03-01-04, 06:08 AM   #1  
karla2218
dry wall

i was wondering how a person would go about curving a wall of drywall, we are remodeling our basement and want to take up as little floor space with a wall that goes around the furnace, i know this can be done i have seen it in magazines, i just don't know what materials to use and also we would like that wall to include an access panel to the furnace any ides would be helpful

Sponsored Links

KS

03-01-04, 06:18 AM   #2  
this all depends on the severity of your curve. Most curves can be handled with 1/4" drywall. Get it wet and it will bend very easily. Be carefull because it will break easily too. Good luck

MO

03-01-04, 07:02 AM   #3  
Coops has addressed how to make the curved wall, I'd buy a couple of extra sheets, odds are good you'll break the first one or two you try to do.

The access panel for the furnace, concerns me a bit, are you planning on completely enclosing the furnace without a door to the furnace room? Problems I see there a doorway into the mechanical room is required by code in alot of places, of course if you're in rural area of the state, codes is just a figment of the county's imagination in most cases. But even without the code requirement, if you close it off completely, what about scheduled Maint? Might be off base there, but if not that's something to consider.

Visiting Guest

03-01-04, 08:43 AM   #4  
karla2218
dry wall

wow you guys are fast at answering questions, i really appreciate that, so wetting 1/4 inch sheet rock will give me the freedom to bend it, now how wet are you saying like spraying with a spray bottle or hosing it down very well, i suppose trial and error would be the best way to figure that out but some guide lines would be helpful, and thanks for mentioning the code requirements we really had not thought of that but i suppose now would be a good time to check into something like that before the walls go up.

MO

03-01-04, 09:25 PM   #5  
The gypsum core needs to get nearly saturated, to make it pliable, leaving a sheet standing on angle on one end will also help form a curve. But for a beginner, yeah it's gonna be trial & error, like I said, buy a couple of extra sheets, it's not all that expensive for the material. 4'x8' sheet is well under $10.

What part of the state are you from?

ok- Here's a link to check out for code in your specific area, unincorporated areas don't have any restrictions, but national standards should be used to insure the project adds to the value of the home, poorly done work will absolutely devalue a home. Ok I'll get off my soapbox & post the link. http://www.permitplace.com/links/dem...yValues=29,0,0

Visiting Guest

03-02-04, 04:57 AM   #6  
karla2218
springfield

MO

03-02-04, 06:06 AM   #7  
Definitely better check that link out, both the city & county do have code enforcement down there.

Visiting Guest

03-02-04, 07:35 PM   #8  
boardslinger
i have done this two ways, if it's a tight radius, it's easier to a piece of masonite, ruff side out that way the mud will stick. Not so tight radius, 1/4" drywall, take a 32 oz. cup of water or bigger and empty it out on the sheet from one side to the other. Start on the brown side. Then rub it in the sheet if more is needed you can add more, if less wipe it off. Then flip it over CAREFULLY, and do the same thing with teh white side. Once both sides are wet, stand it up against the wall using the rocks own weight to help apply the curve. (Don't just leave it their to break) This also allows the water to settle through the rock. When the rock has a pretty good bow in it, Carefully place it on the wall and be careful when screwing as your rock is wet and scews/nails are libal to set farther in and break throught the paper and smashing the rock. Good Luck.

Search this Thread