Boxspring to large 4 stairs

Old 03-07-04, 01:11 PM

Not sure where to post this but since the moderator has been so helpful with my other dozen dilema's here goes nothing...

I have a rental unit and cannot get a double (full) size boxspring up the stairs as there is a sink against the rear wall and mattress won't make the "swing" into stairwell"

I helped the current tenant (my daughter) - get her boxspring up there by removing a window on second floor an forcing it through. Obviously I can't allow tenants on my roof - I'm buying the boxspring from my daughter and leaving it up there - but I'm sure someon will want their own...

I've been told that there is a way to cut boxsprings to make them easier to move - but that they can be put back together again....

Anyone know the method????

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 01:17 PM
Glad we could help you out in the past, but gotta say that one would have me baffled. I've done alot of moving over the yrs & I've come to the conclusion that some rooms were meant for storage & some furniture was just meant to be left where it's at.

Seriously I've never heard of that, I've backscored a sheet of drywall to get it into a tight spot but never a boxspring. What about standing it up on end.

Old 03-07-04, 01:27 PM

We tried standing it on end twisting/turning it wouldn't budge - (in fact getting it through window was no small feat - the "kids decided it would NEVER fit - I told them to get off roof and then I muscled it through - it tore the covering of boxspring but we did it)and since both bedrooms are upstairs I need to find a solution. I know a former tenant got a queen size up there - he told me that he bought a kit to cut boxspring then screw it together again....didn't occur to me to get details, I just decided to tell potential tenants full size only - now full size won't go

Other alternative is to open stair well ....ever done that??

Old 03-07-04, 04:33 PM
Tried about everything once. Before you start opening walls, you need to determine if it's a load bearing wall. If it's positively determined that that it's not, no big deal , tear out what you got & reframe & finish to suit. If it's a load bearing wall, you can still open it up as long as the load is supported with an approriate sized header, just as you would frame an opening in an exterior wall.

What you could maybe do, & I'm not saying I'm advocating this, but you could cut thru the wood at the bottom of the boxspring & then install a sistered piece on the inside to span the cut, but really I'd think you just end up with it being very flimsy bed in the middle.

Old 03-07-04, 08:16 PM
boxspring 2 large 4 stairs & another ??

>> If it's positively determined that that it's not, no big deal , tear out what you got & reframe & finish to suit. If it's a load bearing wall, you can still open it up as long as the load is supported with an approriate sized header, just as you would frame an opening in an exterior wall<<

Well knowing my luck - I'm sure its load bearing! I've installed doors in exterior walls so it believe this wouldn't be to much for me - I'll probably get a contractor to take a look - this time of year it can be really cheap to hire for indoor work (wouldn't that be nice)

While I have your attention - I posted about putting mitered portion of post form counter top together when I don't have access to underneath countertop.

I know I've done at least one - but don't recall exactly how I did it I think I supported it on horses, glued and tightened corner then tweeked it once it was put i place on cabinets (the corner is a carosel type with solid top - so I can't work on corner from underneath....what do you suggest (besides writing this down for next time??)

Old 03-08-04, 04:12 AM
Well what I've done in that situation was to cut some slots in the top of the cabinet & then could tighten things together from inside the cabinet. this was also a carousel type corner cabinet, but there's still access to the cabinet top from underneath, but boy was it a squeeze Your suggestion would work as well, but you're going to want one or two pairs of extra hands to move the top from the saw horses to the cabinet tops. Good luck.

Last edited by awesomedell; 03-27-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 07:41 PM
I had a very similar problem moving into my new home just over a year ago. Your problem may be more severe than mine but I learned something important.

Box springs will bend.

I bent mine a great deal and finally got it around the corner. It made some groaning sounds and a few cracking sounds but it finally gave up and went around the corner. I don't look forward to ever bringing it back down though. We'll see what the future brings.

Old 03-19-04, 03:33 PM
slippery
Visiting Guest
cut it

you can take the cloth off the bottom and then cut the bottom slats on the box spring,[ it will bend almost in half] when you get it where you want it put i back together. i used 1x2 strips the lenght of the box spring. [done it twice with no problems]

Old 03-20-04, 09:40 PM
King size!

A king size bed generally uses two twin size box springs (or two half the width of the mattress anyway). If there's room in the room for the king size, that would be the easiest deal.

Old 03-26-04, 06:53 PM
Chuck the box spring and go to Ikea and buy a put-together platform for the mattress. Theres lots of nice styles, and you will appreciate the extra storage drawers. You can also take some tube lighting and run it around the perimiter of the platform for mood lighting.

Old 05-06-07, 08:56 PM
I had the same problem more than once! The first time I was renting an APT. in a 3 story victorian style house. My 1st. apt. there was in the basement. I had a very nice hide a bed couch. I decided to move from the basement to the second floor. The couch made it up but when I moved I sure left it! Well now I am in the process of finishing a basement in the retro 50's 60's. Found a couch at a thrift store that was somewhere around 100 inches long. Well to get it down the stairs I had to bring it through a laudry room that is like 6 foot max long. We almost had to un upholster this couch and disasemble it. We ended up tipping it up on its armrest and going down the stairs from there. Well that was so tight that I had to take a hammer and knock holes through freshly painted drywall to get it down there anyway with out damaging a vintage piece of furniture. Needless to say that couch is now permanent to the house or its getting cut up with a chainsaw when I move. My sugestion is that since it is a rental and they tenants usually tear the places up anyways rent it as furnished. Also they have Air beds! LOL! If you can move the wall great, but other than that you might be stuck renting a furnished efficiency APT. Also you could also help the tenants move in? Might be worth a shot? That way you know whats going on in the move in process anyways

Old 05-06-07, 09:10 PM
boxspring to large for stairs

I ended up opening the stairwell, and when the 2nd unit (mirrors this one) became empty, I opened that also.

Next house the top of stairs was the problem. I moved about 5 ft of wall about 12 inches into room and put a 36 in door in.

Furniture practically moves itself!

Thanks for suggestions.