Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Making textured ceilings flat again?

Visiting Guest

03-14-04, 09:22 AM   #1  
sporter
Making textured ceilings flat again?

I bought an A frame. Every ceiling has heavy, heavy (wedding cake) texturizing. It makes me sick to look at it. How can I smooth these ceilings out flat? Some of the ceilings have spikes hanging down that will literally hurt you if you happen to hit them. I have lived here almost 4 years, and I want to paint, but first I have to figure out how to get rid of all the stuff on the ceilings. The ceilings are straight and in good shape, so I don't think the texturizing was done to hide anything - just the previous owners' preference.

Please tell me what to do. I don't have extra money and will probably need to do whatever has to be done myself. I am game if it is doable.

Thanks in advance,

Sporter

Sponsored Links

KS

03-14-04, 06:10 PM   #2  
Easiest I think will be to scrape down what you can and skim drywall mud over it. It will take some time and effort for sure.

MO

03-14-04, 07:44 PM   #3  
Do one room at a time, remove furnishings if possible to make it easier to work in the room, otherwise cover everything up. If you got a central heat & air, it would be a good idea to shut it down while you're doing the scraping & sanding portions of the project.

Wear eye protection and a mask to keep from breathing in the junk. A cap is also a good idea to keep it out of your hair. Cover the floor with plastic or drop cloths. You can use a simple spray bottle, but a pump type garden sprayer is what I use. (NOTE: Be sure to clean out any residual chemicals if you've used it in the garden previously) Mist the texture & allow it to stand a few mins, then take a wide drywall blade and scrape all the texture you can.(if you doing a large area do it in about 10' sq sections) In cases with extremely heavy texture, it may be necessary to repeat the process. Once you get the texture off, you need to repair taped joints as needed & then apply a skim coat over the entire surface. Sand it smooth, primer & paint to suit.

Search this Thread