Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rubber stripping on bottom of drywall

Visiting Guest

03-14-04, 11:12 AM   #1  
kfrank
rubber stripping on bottom of drywall

What is the best and quickest way to remove the rubber stripping on bottom of drywall, without having to peel off any drywall?
Kelvin

Sponsored Links

KS

03-14-04, 06:03 PM   #2  
Drywall doesn't have any rubber stripping on it. Do you mean the flat rubber commercial base board?? I'm not sure.

Visiting Guest

03-14-04, 06:41 PM   #3  
kfrank
Originally posted by coops28
Drywall doesn't have any rubber stripping on it. Do you mean the flat rubber commercial base board?? I'm not sure.
YES

MO

03-14-04, 07:20 PM   #4  
That stuff is usually put on with either mastic or liquid nails, both are pretty hard to remove w/o damaging the drywall. You could try a heat gun, but can't vouch for the results. I generally use an old drywall blade & just figure on some low skim work to smooth things back out. Good luck!

Visiting Guest

03-14-04, 07:43 PM   #5  
kfrank
Thank you I'll try that. I figured a drywall blade would probably do it and I also figured on trying a heat gun. I was just checking to see if there is an easier more technological method. Oh well....

03-15-04, 06:51 AM   #6  
Everytime time we pull this type of base, it brings part of the wall with it. I tried using a heatgun once, found it would take about 30 minutes per linear foot to loosen the mastic. And the base started melting way before that. I wish there was a better way, but haven't found one yet.

Search this Thread