Horizontal Drywall

Old 03-22-04, 02:52 PM
hwrd69
Visiting Guest
Question Horizontal Drywall

I have read several sites describing the advantages of hanging dryewall horizontally, especially when there is a long wall. Waht I do not get, is if the drywall is 4 x 8 and the walls are 8' high, then if hung horizontally, you end up with a tapered end on the bottom. How do you attach moulding to a tapered surface? If you cut the drywall such that you have a non-tapered edge, then you increase the number of seams, which is contrary to hanging the drywall horzonatlly. Help....

Confused in Brandon

Old 03-22-04, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The tapered edge gets covered with base board. It is not enough of a taper to effect the look. If no baseboard, then you must fill in the bottom.

Old 03-22-04, 04:54 PM
hwrd69
Visiting Guest
I have used a 3 1/2" baseboard (to achieve the look we desired) and with this size baseboard, the taper does make a difference. In one room, where I replaced the drywall, I had to compensate for the taper by "back-filling" the taper. This just seems to be a not very finsihed way of doing it.

I do not want to be picky, but is there a better solution?

Thanks

Old 03-22-04, 05:19 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Starting from the ceiling down. rip 1 sheet in half. Cut side up. Then place full sheet up butting up the recessed edges. Then the other half of the rip. Again butting up recessed edges. This will give you a cut on the bottom. You will have to do more finishing, but you have the solid edge you want for your basse board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: