Covering aged and stained drywall!

Old 03-29-04, 04:18 AM
HangnHzAzzOff
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Covering aged and stained drywall!

Hi I'm just starting as buildback supervisor on a 42 building 427 unit apartment remodel. The complex is almost 40 years old and has been eaten alive by moisture and mold problems. Each building has an basement level storage area the size of two open apartments that require alot of work. We are demo'ing roughly 60-95% of the existing drywall and replaceing such. Anyway our contract says we have to basicly whitewash these areas, and that's where the problem is. My drywall "green" company's contract is screwy, to put it mildly(Idiots). So we are only rehanging partial sections of these rooms. When my painters go in and paint it's costing me out the *** to get the existing drywall to match the new rock. The existing sheetrock was only taped when built and never painted, so now it's aged and yellowed badly. Which is a pain to get as white as the new mud and drywall. I've tried $75/5gal. gripper primer, $40/5gal. kilz2 latex primer=not working! Now I'm having to spray several coats of $25/5gal. Enforcer spray on glaze which requires sanding afterwards. Then we go in with the double coat of primer. Finally we double or tripple coat the paint.(Each coat sprayed and backrolled!) Help!! There's no way I'll be able to bring this one in on time and under my budget this way.(Goodbye bonus ) Any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything so speak up please. Thanks Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 04:24 AM
HangnHzAzzOff
Visiting Guest
Question

Where did the pic upload to??

Old 03-29-04, 05:32 AM
Did you try regular oil based Kilz?

Old 03-29-04, 06:42 AM
That was my thoughts too. Use BIN or oil Kilz for the first coat.

Old 03-31-04, 04:08 PM
We just did a reno on a 50 yr old home, converted to a duplex. Old board was very discolored from smoke, mold, etc, used Valspar exterior oil primer as a base coat, still took two coats of finish paint after texture, but finished product looks very good.