Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > Drywall over/under good plaster ceiling.

Drywall over/under good plaster ceiling.

Old 03-29-04, 03:36 PM
Giuseppe
Visiting Guest
Question Drywall over/under good plaster ceiling.

I'm ready for some more advice. It's worth every cent, guys, it really is.

Kitchen has plaster ceiling, 1 x 4 furring, and acoustical tile. The tile has got to go. Does the plaster?

The plaster has holes where we ran Romex to replace cloth wire. I'm assuming the way to go here is a new drywall ceiling but I'm looking for advice on whether or not to remove the lathe and plaster.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is my dad saying "Anything worth doing is worth doing right." I have a nagging suspicion that the "right" thing is to remove the plaster.

It's in good shape now but one worry is that it will eventually fall in and damage my new drywall. Will it? And for the psychics in the audience -- when?

I need some direction here. Any advice?

TIA,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 02:52 AM
HangnHzAzzOff
Visiting Guest
In my opinion if you believe the plaster is about to drop on your head i would just leave it. Depending on the age and type of underlaying framework involved chances are you will be doing more work than you sat out to do. On the other hand if you are good at this type of work, might as well. If not, leave the plaster alone. Other things you should take into consideration is the time involved. How long can you go without the use of the kitchen? Hope I was a lil' helpful.

Old 03-30-04, 05:41 AM
I would take the plaster off and hang new rock. That way you can update your electrical and so on. you can also hang new rock over your bad plaster. Nothing will fall off as long as you screw it off correctly.

Old 03-30-04, 05:10 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
I personaly would rip it out and hang board, then I would apply white coat plaster. To give it that old look. I like the looks of plaster but not mess of it. If it's strong and has no signs of it coming down, leave it as it is. If you just don't want it take it out. It's up to you. Good Luck

Old 03-30-04, 08:40 PM
I have to go the other way on this one guys. According to the original post he's already had the home rewired and with that old tile ceiling he's already got 1"x4"s on a 12" centered grid. That's alot of mess & unnecessary tear-out IMO.

I'd hang 1/2" rock over the top of everything, just lower the light box to accomodate the 1/2" drop first & then go right over the tile & attach on the 1"x4"s. I've done that several times w/o any problems. I don't nail any lid rock, only screws, 4-5 per nailer evenly space across the sheet.

Search this Thread